Dos and Don'ts for Your Headshot Wardrobe
10 Essential Tips
The 10 key fashion tips for nailing your headshot wardrobe
When you choose the right headshot wardrobe it can make or break your first impression. The following is a list of Dos and Don’ts for selecting the best headshot wardrobe for your portrait session.
Headshot Wardrobe Dos
- Dress professionally. This doesn’t necessarily mean a suit and tie, or a pencil skirt and blouse, this means dress for your industry. Choose clothing that is appropriate for your job or the position you are seeking and the image you want to convey. Your headshot wardrobe says a lot about you. Does your headshot wardrobe match your personality and the position you want to achieve?
- Wear solid colors. Let’s say that again – Wear. Solid. Colors. Solid colors won’t distract from your face or compete with your background. Stick to the classics such as black, navy, white, or gray.
- Consider your neckline. Choose a neckline that flatters your face. V-necks or scoop necks elongate the neck. High necklines can create a closed off appearance.
- Keep accessories to a minimum. The focus of this portrait should be you. Simple earrings or other jewelry can add a classic touch.
- Fitted tops are flattering. Flowy tops can add visual bulk so form-fitted is the best way to go.
- 3/4 length sleeves are often the most flattering. So many women are concerned with the appearance of their arms. This sleeve length is universally the most attractive. It shows enough of the arm without exposing the entire thing.
- Consider wearing layers. Bring multiple shirts, blazers, and/or jackets.
Headshot Wardrobe Don'ts
- Avoid busy patterns. Especially very small squares can cause strange patterns in digital photography. Large florals or big plaids can distract from the star of the show – YOU! If you choose a pattern make sure it is something that speaks to you and your brand. Use them sparingly!
- Do not wear clothing with brands or logos. You aren’t in the business of advertising for someone else. This headshot is about you! Unless the logo is marketing for your company, leave it in your closet at home.
- Leave shiny clothing at home. Clothing with too much of a shine to it can cause a distraction for your headshots.
Remember, your headshot is how you sell yourself and make your best first impression. Your wardrobe choices can have a significant impact on the overall impression your headshot conveys. Choose clothing that is appropriate for your industry and position, avoid distracting patterns and accessories, keep your look simple and professional, and/or relate it directly to your brand.
Repeat photography clients Watch their family grow! How long have I photographed this family? A walk down memory lane! I first met these clients in
Capturing the Story of Your Brand – 5 Reasons Why You Need to Make Branding Headshots a Priority Why you need to make branding headshots
A Luxury Mobile Dog Groomer on the Go Please introduce yourself and tell us what got you started as a luxury mobile dog groomer? My
Identical Twins had babies one day apart Identical Twins had Babies One Day Apart Last week I posted a blog about my maternity clients who
Identical Twin Sisters pregnant at the same time featured in this fashion inspired maternity session. This session went viral on TikTok!